Flag

Sunday, November 18, 2007

An empty mind?



The pictures:
l: Me in Kuwait on Christmas Day 2003 (2nd tour)

c: SGT Doug McClure (Daddy)

r: CSM Sam McClure (Uncle Sam - one of Daddy's older brothers)

The pictures of Daddy and Uncle Sam show part of the reason I have stuck with the military so long - it runs in the family.

The blog has been empty, maybe because my mind is empty right now, or because I've been otherwise occupied. I like that "otherwise occupied" better than empty, so that's what I'll go with right now. I had to go back to Ft. Polk earlier this week to finish demobilizing so I can start my final active duty orders. The orders are for 1 year, 1 month, and 17 days, ending on 31 December 2008 with my active duty retirement. YAHOO!!! I can't believe I'm actually going to be able to get an active duty retirement. I guess if you hang around long enough you can get pretty much what you want. I'm glad I won't have to wait until age 60 to start drawing the money. I never figured when I enlisted in January of 1973 that I'd still be fooling with the Army over 34 years later. I have had a good career for the most part. The multiple deployments to Kuwait over the past 5 years have not been real fun, but that's what made it possible to hit that active duty time I needed, so I guess even somewhat unpleasant experiences count for our good if we approach them with the right frame of mind. But, the deployments weren't too bad, because I had mostly good people working for and with me, and I had some good bosses. Attitude is everything.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

you retire on my 29th birthday. we'll have to have a HUGE party!!!
we thank you for all your service and hard work for our country and our family.
love,
jessie

thecaillouets said...

and just think of all that grandbaby weekend or weekday time you'll have. brooklyn can't wait!!!!